At Bitergia, we understand the critical role that open source project health plays in driving collaboration, innovation, and community growth. Earlier this year, Bitergian, Georg Link, wrote an insightful article for The Cloud Report that delves into the importance of measuring project health within the open source ecosystem. As the metrics partner for the upcoming OpenInfra Summit in Vancouver, where we will be hosting the Metrics Corner, we couldn’t be more excited to explore this topic further.
Measuring Open Source Project Health
The article emphasizes the importance of a project’s quality code, sufficient resources, and active community as key contributors to the health of the project. In a deep dive, the article identifies ways of measuring community activity from the angles of contributions, people, organizations, and inclusion.
Of course, there are more ways to analyze and measure project health. For example, it is important to understand the collaboration patterns and networks within open source projects, unveiling the relationships and connections between developers and organizations. Our tools at Bitergia enable this kind of project health assessment by analyzing the intricate web of collaborations and contributions.
Bitergia’s network graph analysis visually represents these collaboration networks. By utilizing visual properties such as node size, link thickness, and node color, our analysis provides a clear and intuitive representation of the number of projects, the extent of contributions, and the organizations involved. This facilitates a better understanding of the overall project health and helps identify potential areas for improvement and collaboration.
At Bitergia, we are proud to contribute to the advancement of open source projects by providing valuable insights into their health and collaboration dynamics. Our metrics and analytics empower developers, organizations, and communities to make data-driven decisions, foster innovation, and create thriving open source ecosystems. Together, let’s measure and improve the project health of open source initiatives, driving them toward greater success and impact.
Join Us at OpenInfra Summit Vancouver
We invite you to join us at the OpenInfra Summit in Vancouver, where we will showcase the power of metrics and analytics in action. As the metrics partner with OpenInfra Foundation, we are excited to host the Metrics Corner. In this dedicated space, attendees can explore insights and strategies for measuring and improving open source project health.
The OpenInfra Summit in Vancouver offers a unique platform to connect, learn, and shape the future of open source together. We can drive meaningful change, foster innovation, and create thriving open source communities by harnessing the knowledge and insights gained from measuring project health.
Discover the Metrics Corner
At the Metrics Corner, you’ll have the opportunity to engage with our team of metrics experts, who will provide firsthand insights into measuring project health. Through interactive sessions, workshops, and discussions, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of the interconnectedness and collaborative dynamics within open source ecosystems. Here’s a sneak peek at what you can expect from different OpenInfra projects:
- Kata Containers: Dive into the world of secure and lightweight container runtimes with Kata Containers. Discover how metrics can help you assess performance, resource utilization, and the overall health of your containerized applications.
- Zuul: Explore the power of continuous integration and continuous delivery with Zuul, the open source CI/CD platform. Learn how metrics enable you to optimize your development pipeline, identify bottlenecks, and accelerate software delivery.
- OpenStack: Attention all OpenStack enthusiasts! Witness the latest advancements in the world’s leading open source cloud infrastructure platform. Our live demos will showcase how metrics can provide valuable insights into resource usage, scalability, and operational efficiency.
- StarlingX: Discover the potential of edge computing with StarlingX, the open source platform for distributed edge cloud. See how metrics play a crucial role in monitoring and optimizing edge deployments, ensuring high availability, and delivering exceptional performance.
Also, if you’re curious about the health of your Open Source project, you can discover it with CHAOSS Metrics and Software!
What is the health of your OSS project? Find out with CHAOSS Metrics and Software, Tuesday, June 13, 10:40 am | Vancouver Convention Centre – Room 13
Join us for an insightful talk featuring CHAOSS members Sean Goggins, Precious Onyewuchi, and Bitergian Georg Link. They will unveil a fresh approach to OSS project metrics that take into account the unique nature of each open source project and caters to diverse interests regarding project health. CHAOSS, which stands for Community Health Analytics for Open Source Software, is a vibrant community dedicated to defining metrics and developing software that empowers us to understand open source projects better. During this engaging session, they will:
- Introduce Metric Models: Learn about the innovative work of the CHAOSS community in constructing metric models.
- Explore CHAOSS Software: Delve into the functionality of CHAOSS Software, which collects and presents data about open source projects.
- Visualize and Dashboard: Witness the power of GrimoireLab, an integral component of CHAOSS Software, as we showcase its visualization and dashboarding capabilities.
Measuring project health is a fundamental aspect of ensuring the success and longevity of open source initiatives. As the metrics partner and host of the Metrics Corner at the OpenInfra Summit in Vancouver, Bitergia is excited to contribute to this important conversation. Join us at the summit to explore the power of metrics, connect with industry experts, and be a part of the transformation in the open source ecosystem.
We look forward to seeing you at the OpenInfra Summit in Vancouver!